[Live-devel] Live555 EventLoop crash

David J Myers david.myers at panogenics.com
Wed Dec 14 10:08:10 PST 2011

Hi Ross,

I've modified my Live source Server application in the following way:-

Where I was using Linux pipes to get data from the main thread to the
Live555 event thread, I now cycle through a series of shared buffers. Linux
pipes were too small (64k only) for my big 5MP images, and they also hang
the main writing thread whilst writing to the pipes. I've also switched from
background-processing to using an Event trigger to call my DeliverFrame
routine.

Now, after streaming a number of frames to the client, I get the following
warning (the actual byte counts vary)

StreamParser::afterGettingBytes() warning: read 9828 bytes; expected no more
than 4142

Shortly after that I get a SIGSEGV and my server crashes somewhere in the
Event loop.

I think that my previous pipe-using version was self-synchronising and you
could never write enough data to the pipe to keep the receiving thread busy.
This version will write frames much quicker and I seem to be hitting the
BANK_SIZE limit.

Any advice appreciated, David