[Live-devel] Live555 EventLoop crash

Jeremy Noring kidjan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 14:44:51 PST 2011

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com>wrote:

> No, you must send only one frame at a time, because downstream objects
> expect 'frames', not 'portions of frames'.  "fMaxSize" is the size of the
> buffer that the downstream object specified when it called "getNextFrame()"
> on your input source object.  If your frames are larger than "fMaxSize"
> (which is what you are seeing), then that simply means that your downstream
> object's buffer is too small.  You need to increase it.
>
> (Unfortunately, you didn't say what your downstream object is, so until
> you do, I can't really tell you how to increase the buffer size.)

Two quick questions:

1. One thing another open source project I maintain does is automatically
adjust buffer size when a frame too large comes along using realloc. Seems
like you field this question often enough that it might be worth
consideration to do something similar?
2. One of the biggest performance hits in my profiling is memcpy (I use an
embedded platform, so memcpy gets pricy fast), much of it due to copying
media buffers. Would you ever consider adding (or consider accepting ;)
code that allows live555 to work in the calling library's buffers instead
of its own? (in other words, I give Live555 a pointer to a buffer to send
and the size, rather than memcpy'ing the buffer into live555's space)

Thanks!.