[Live-devel] Live555 EventLoop Crash

David J Myers david.myers at panogenics.com
Wed Dec 21 05:51:35 PST 2011

Hi Ross,

>That's your problem.  Because your "StreamSource" object is delivering
discrete NAL units (in this case, discrete frames, where each frame is a
single NAL unit) - i.e., delivering one NAL unit at a time - then you should
be using "H264VideoStreamDiscreteFramer".

>Just make sure that your encoded NAL units *do not* begin with a 'start
code' (0x00000001 or 0x000001).

>("H264VideoStreamFramer" is used when your input source is a *byte stream*
- e.g., from a H.264 Elementary Stream video *file*.)

So I've tried using H264VideoStreamDiscreteFramer and removing the first 4
bytes (which is always 00 00 00 01) from the encoded frame data, but this
fails with the output:-

Warning: Invalid 'nal_unit_type': 0.  Does the NAL unit begin with a MPEG
'start code' by mistake?

I'm guessing that my encoded output frame data is not just one NAL unit but
a bunch of them. H264VideoStreamFramer copes with this (apart from the
truncations). Can I go through the frame extracting the NAL units and
sending them one by one.

-    David