[Live-devel] openRTSP + Apache + mediaServer

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Dec 21 06:03:07 PST 2011

> Basically, I want to have in the same computer a web server (in my example apache) and the live555 media server as RTSP server

You CANNOT do this if these two servers use the same port number.  I.e., if you already have an Apache web server running using port 80, then "live555MediaServer" cannot also use port 80.  As I said before, no 'proxying' can make this possible.

HOWEVER, "live555MediaServer" will automatically try to use other port numbers if its first choice (port 80) is already in use.  It will first try port 80, then port 8000, then port 8080.

Note the message that "live555MediaServer" prints out at the end, when it starts out:
	(We use port <something> for optional RTSP-over-HTTP tunneling, or for HTTP live streaming (for indexed Transport Stream files only).)
In this case, <something> is the port number that your client (e.g., "openRTSP") will use to access the RTSP server using RTSP-over-HTTP streaming.

If, however, "live555MediaServer" prints out the following message:
	(RTSP-over-HTTP tunneling is not available.)
then that means that other server(s) (probably your Apache server) are already using all three port numbers: 80, 8000, and 8080.  In that case, you can modify the "live555MediaServer.cpp" code to use a different port number instead.