[Live-devel] New demo application "testRTSPClient" (in "testProgs"); a better RTSP client model than "openRTSP"

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Dec 23 02:03:52 PST 2011

Several people have had trouble developing their own RTSP client applications using the LIVE555 code, and this is partly my fault, because "openRTSP" - the only RTSP client application code that we've made available - is not a very good model for how to write a RTSP client application, for several reasons:
	1/ "openRTSP" is quite complex, with several command-line options for a lot of rather obscure functionality.
	2/ "openRTSP" shares a lot of code with the "playSIP" application - and this makes the code hard to understand.
	3/ The "openRTSP" code was specifically designed to be a complete, standalone application - not something that would be embedded into another application.
	4/ Because "openRTSP" was designed to be a standalone application for streaming one "rtsp://" URL, it does not illustrate how you could stream *multiple* "rtsp://" URLs concurrently from within the same (single-threaded) application.

To fix this, I've given you all a Christmas present: A new demo application (in the "testProgs" directory) called "testRTSPClient".

"testRTSPClient" is simple:  It takes one or more "rtsp://" URLs as command-line arguments, and streams each URL, concurrently.  Unlike "openRTSP", it has no command-line options.  Also, unlike "openRTSP", it doesn't output (or do anything else with) the audio/video data that it receives; it just receives the data into a buffer (and outputs - to the console - a message describing what was received).

I.e., unlike "openRTSP", "testRTSPClient" is not very useful as an application by itself.  It's main purpose is to illustrate how you, as an application developer, can use the "RTSPClient" interface within your own application.