[Live-devel] set top box problem

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Dec 27 15:17:29 PST 2011

The problem is that your client (STB) is trying to send a RTSP "GET_PARAMETER" command with a "rtsp://" URL, without having first done a RTSP "DESCRIBE" and then a RTSP "SETUP" on this URL.  Our server doesn't support this, nor does any other server that I'm aware of.  (I'm not even sure if what the client's doing here is even legal RTSP.)

If your client had instead sent the "GET_PARAMETER" command with "*" as the URL, then our server would have responded without an error.  However, by default, our server just responds to "GET_PARAMETER" with an empty response.  Because your client is asking for a specific set of parameters, it's unlikely that it would be happy with our server's response, in any case.

So, unless you can get your STB's manufacturer to change its RTSP client implementation (to be more standard), you're probably out of luck with this client.  Sorry.