[Live-devel] Streaming with live555 using named pipes with dm6467

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Feb 23 11:51:54 PST 2011

>Yes, i'm planning using a single client. So, i'm trying
>use "testOnDemandRTSPServer". But, for use with a named pipe i cant,
>until now, makes stuffs work.
>
>Is there  a place where i can set the amount of
>data "testOnDemandRTSPServer" will read in each interation??

Not really.  This is probably irrelevant for your problem anyway.

>  It seems to be a possible bottleneck for my app, because the
>apparent loss of data at VLC side could be a pipe overflow.

The server will stream the Transport Stream data at the appropriate
rate, as determined by the PCR timestamps in the data.  If the pipe
between your encoder and the server is overflowing (you should be
able to determine for sure whether this is happening, BTW), then it
will probably be because either (i) your encoder is generating
incorrect PCR timestamps (which is causing the server to stream too
slowly), or, much more likely, (ii) your encoder is generating
Transport Stream data too fast, and is not blocking if/when it fills
up the pipe.

Because your Transport Stream encoder is writing to a pipe, it needs
to block if/when the pipe fills up.  But because - from the encoder's
point of view - the pipe is just like an open file, this should be
happening automatically.  In any case, this seems to be just basic
Unix systems programming, and has nothing to do with our code.