[Live-devel] Porting to other OS, such as uC/OS, FreeRTOS, etc

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sun Jan 2 14:45:21 PST 2011

>What are the major issues for porting LIVE555 to other light-weight
>RTOS, such as uC/OS, FreeRTOS, etc.? Has anybody tried yet? Any
>experimental results available? We are considering to port LIVE555
>to STM32 ARM Cortex M3 with uC/OS. Is it possible at all?

I don't know much about those particular OSs, but the "LIVE555
Streaming Media" code has been run on many embedded systems -
especially Linux-based systems, but also some others.

The main requirements seem to be:
	- A C++ compiler (obviously).
	- Support for the 'POSIX' API.
	- Support for the 'Berkeley sockets' API, including the
"select()" call.
"select()" is used by the "BasicTaskScheduler" implementation to
implement an event loop.  In principle, some other mechanism - not
using "select()" - could be used to implement an event loop, by
defining and implementing your own subclass of "TaskScheduler".  In
any case, though, other 'Berkeley sockets' calls - including
"accept()", "connect()" and "bind()" - must be supported.