[Live-devel] New LIVE555 version, now supports 'trick play' on H.264 Transport Stream files

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jan 5 09:02:19 PST 2011

(Note that this particular problem has nothing to do with 'trick
play'; your streaming problem happens even if no index file is
created.  It probably also doesn't have anything specifically to do
with H.264 (see below).)

Problems like this (VLC being able to play a file OK, but
'stuttering' if the same file is streamed from our RTSP server) are
usually caused by a problem with the PCR timestamps in the file.
(The server's "MPEG2TransportStreamFramer" object - which regulates
the rate at which the data is output - uses the file's PCR timestamps
to dynamically compute an estimate of the 'duration' of each
Transport Stream packet, which in turn is used by the server to
dynamically compute the rate at which data should be sent.)

I suspect that perhaps your file is highly 'VBR' (variable bit rate),
and the PCR timestamps are not occurring in the file frequently
enough for our "MPEG2TransportStreamFramer" to properly adapt to it.