[Live-devel] Symbian Client having issues with Live555 based server

Jeremy Noring kidjan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 10:45:26 PST 2011

We run an RTSP server based around Live555 on our embedded device; normally,
it's configured with two sessions: LowResolutionVideo and
HighResolutionVideo, both of which are H264/AAC.  This works well for the
most part--it's broadly compatible with VLC, Quicktime and our own openRTSP
based client.  However, I got this report from one of our users:

I am able to stream to my Nokia N8 phone just by creating "txt file" named
live.ram and it has content like:

rtsp://192.168.2.2/LowResolutionVideo

Then placing that file to phone and click it from file manager. It will
stream ~30s nicely and once buffer should happen difficulties started.

This is something i have figured out from network packet capture:

These ping-pong (keep-alive) packets or heart beats are formatted somewhat
like this:

SET_PARAMETER * RTSP/1.0

CSeq: 6

Ping: Pong

Where “*” denotes the url, from the packet capture dump it seems camera
RTSP -server is not ignoring that url when Nokia phone has a ‘ping’
parameter in the header.

And hence it sends 404 url not found and resets connection. In such cases
server should just respond by OK 200 or 451

RTSP/1.0 451 Parameter Not Understood

CSeq: 6

Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 12:50:56 GMT

And should not reset or finish the session.

I'm not familiar with these ping-pong packets (are these a valid part of the
RTSP protocol?) or streaming to symbian devices; does anyone have any idea
what the problem may be?
Thanks in advance.