[Live-devel] Symbian Client having issues with Live555 based server

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sun Jan 16 15:31:04 PST 2011

>We run an RTSP server based around Live555 on our embedded device

Do "we" not have our own domain name? :-)

>This is something i have figured out from network packet capture:
>
>These ping-pong (keep-alive) packets or heart beats are formatted
>somewhat like this:
>
>SET_PARAMETER * RTSP/1.0
>
>CSeq: 6
>
>Ping: Pong
>
>Where "*" denotes the url, from the packet capture dump it seems
>camera RTSP -server is not ignoring that url when Nokia phone has a
>'ping' parameter in the header.
>
>And hence it sends 404 url not found and resets connection.

Thanks for the report.

>  In such cases server should just respond by OK 200 or 451
>
>RTSP/1.0 451 Parameter Not Understood

Hmmm.  The RTSP 1.0 spec lists "451" as being an error code only for
"SETUP", although the RTSP 2.0 spec lists it as being an error code
only for "SET_PARAMETER".  (The latter is actually a mistake; it
should also be an error code for "GET_PARAMETER", at least according
to the remainder of the spec.)

To be on the safe side, I should probably change the code to respond
to "SET_PARAMETER" with "OK 200", but not actually do anything.  I'll
make this change in the next release of the software.

(If you wanted to actually *handle* the "SET_PARAMETER" command -
i.e., not just have it be a no-op - then you would do this by
subclassing "RTSPServer" and "RTSPServer::RTSPClientSession", and
reimplementing the virtual function "RTSPServer::RTSPClientSession
::handleCmd_SET_PARAMETER()" in your subclass.)