[Live-devel] New LIVE555 version, now supports 'trick play' on H.264 Transport Stream files

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Jan 18 21:01:28 PST 2011

>I finally managed to encode my H264 videos for streaming (but it is
>not a very good solution as I need to have a CBR TS file, with about
>40% NULL packets.....)
>Tried the new index file: it works perfectly. Thanks a lot Ross for this !!!!
>Just one small detail: when I seek, the stream seems to be stopped
>immediately, and then the player start to buffer the new frames.
>During that time, the video is of course frozen, and display is a
>little "broken" with some artifacts. Would it be possible to pause
>the stream at the end of a frame ?

No, it would be difficult (requiring a major modification/disruption
to the server code) to have the server delay handling an incoming
'seek' ("PLAY") command until it has completed streaming an entire
frame.

It would be simpler to update your player client to not display
partially-decoded frame data until it knows that it has received the
start of the next frame.