[Live-devel] Sending speed is not enough

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Jul 5 04:59:21 PDT 2011

>     LIVE555 will do "select()" before sending every packet of a
>frame(any task in fact).

Correct.

>     It spends extra times, especially when the frame size is big.

No it doesn't.

>     Maybe another reason is that my CPU is not fast enough.

Conceivably, but if that's the case, network streaming is unlikely to
be the limiting factor.

>     On my slow CPU (200MHz), it is difficult to send a real time
>streaming of JPEG / 20Mbps, even in a local network.
>     (* I aware that JPEG is a bad format for real time streaming.)
>     But it works fine when I stream it via HTTP (sending a frame by
>select() once and send() once).
>
>     Is it really necessary to "select()" for every packet? or any advise?

The rate at which our server sends packets is determined entirely by
the value of "fDurationInMicroseconds" that you set (for each JPEG
frame) in the object that feeds into your "JPEGVideoRTPSink".  It has
nothing to do with the calls to "select()".