[Live-devel] TestH264VideoStreamer lags in VLC

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Jul 11 17:29:59 PDT 2011

>Here is an example file :
>
><http://www.mediafire.com/?rm6v38vx15nd9dv>http://www.mediafire.com/?rm6v38vx15nd9dv
>
>When I play it with VLC in my computer it plays normally. So I
>guess, as a encoder output is fine. But when I use for example
>TestH264VideoStreamer to stream it, what the client (also with VLC)
>sees is much more slow. It is like viewing 1 fps, although this
>sequence's frame rate is much higher.

Actually, "testH264VideoStreamer" thinks that the frame rate is 4
frames-per-second, and is streaming at that rate.  However, VLC seems
to stream at about 6 times that rate - i.e., at about 24
frames-per-second.

So, my question - for H.264 experts - is the following: What is VLC
seeing, in this file, that makes it see a frame rate of 24
frames-per-second, or so?

Our code ("H264VideoStreamFramer") is seeing
	num_units_in_tick: 1
	time_scale: 8
	fixed_frame_rate_flag: 1
and from this is inferring a frame rate of 4 frames-per-second.  So
how is VLC inferring a much higher frame rate??