[Live-devel] h264 test application problem

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sat Jul 16 02:04:35 PDT 2011

>I downloaded the two H264 video files from
><http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/public/264/>
>http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/public/264/

There are actually three files there, FWIW...

>But when I run the testH264VideoStreamer application, the client
>side VLC player cannot play them well. Also, OpenRTSP can save the
>steam to a file. But VLC player cannot play this file. I guess the
>testH264VideoStreamer application cannot insert enough SPS/PPS
>information into the stream.

We don't insert any SPS/PPS NAL units into the stream.  We recognize
them when they appear (so that they can be inserted into the stream's
SDP description (for RTSP)), but we don't insert them into the
stream; instead, we just transmit the NAL units that were in the
input file.

>Anybody knows how to solve this problem>

VLC seems to have a problem (in particular, with the display window
size) when playing the multicast stream, especially when the input
file 'wraps around'.  I don't know what's causing this (because VLC
is not our software); you'd have to ask a VLC mailing list about this.

However, you'll have better luck if you stream each file via unicast
- e.g., using "testOnDemandRTSPServer" or "live555MediaServer".  (In
this case, VLC will play the stream just once, until it ends.)
That's what I recommend.