[Live-devel] A new server extension for streaming to iPhones and iPads

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Jul 18 22:26:22 PDT 2011

>Very nice feature.
>
>Question: if I wanted to extend this to use a different source (say,
>and MP4 file with H.264 and AAC), where would be the best place to
>start?

The only kind of stream that will play on iPhones and iPads are MPEG
Transport Streams that contain H.264 video, and AAC or MP3 audio.
So, you won't be able to stream a MP4 file to them.  You'd first need
to convert the file to a Transport Stream (and then index it).

>   And would it be possible to use it with a live source somehow?

Not with this implementation, because it uses the server 'trick play'
mechanism for streaming Transport Stream files, and that requires
that the files already exist (and be indexed).

Right now the best solution for streaming from a live source to
iPhones/iPads is probably to use Apple's own "MediaStreamSegmenter"
tool (which breaks an input Transport Stream into multiple files, and
generates a playlist).  You can then stream these using a regular
HTTP server.