[Live-devel] RTP/RTSP over HTTP server implementation

Dezso Kancsar dezso.kancsar at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 02:00:44 PDT 2011

> RTP/RTSP-over-HTTP has been supported in our RTSP server
> implementation since October last year:
> http://lists.live555.com/pipermail/live-devel/2010-October/012672.html

The release note of the version 2010 October said only RTSP-over-HTTP
nor RTP. Am I right?

I have compiled and tested the live555MediaServer version 0.70 from
sources. Started the given binary as root and closed all other ports
except 80 via tcp on my machine. The startup log said the port 80 was
used for "...optional RTSP-over-HTTP tunneling, or for HTTP live
streaming...".  Next I have started a VLC client on another PC with the
settings of the RTP/RTSP over HTTP tunneling on port 80. The VLC just do
nothing :-( If udp ports are reopened on server and the HTTP tunneling
on the client is disabled, the VLC works fine.

In the other hand a dss (Darwin Streaming Server from Apple) on the same
server what I tried for live55MediaServer works fine from the VLC client
with the same settings even if only the port 80 is open on server side
and the HTTP tunneling is enabled on client side.

Sum: I was not able to setup live555MediaServer to handle streaming only
via HTTP port.

What do I have to change in the config or source to make the
live555MediaServer also able to work only as "HTTP tunneled streaming
server"? Should I get back to the version of 2010 October? Do we talk
about the same: "RTP/RTSP over HTTP server implementation"? Do you plan
to implement that kind of "HTTP tunneled streaming server"
implementation, as well?

Thanks for helping! Best Regards,
Dezső.