[Live-devel] RTP/RTSP over HTTP server implementation

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Jul 22 02:17:22 PDT 2011

>>RTP/RTSP-over-HTTP has been supported in our RTSP server
>>implementation since October last year:
>>http://lists.live555.com/pipermail/live-devel/2010-October/012672.html
>>
>The release note of the version 2010 October said only
>RTSP-over-HTTP nor RTP. Am I right?

No.  The protocol tunnels RTSP over HTTP, but RTP (and RTCP) packets
are also tunneled over the RTSP channel.  So, strictly speaking, it's
(RTP/RTCP-over-RTSP)-over-HTTP.

>I have compiled and tested the live555MediaServer version 0.70 from
>sources. Started the given binary as root and closed all other ports
>except 80 via tcp on my machine. The startup log said the port 80
>was used for "...optional RTSP-over-HTTP tunneling, or for HTTP live
>streaming...".  Next I have started a VLC client on another PC with
>the settings of the RTP/RTSP over HTTP tunneling on port 80. The VLC
>just do nothing :-( If udp ports are reopened on server and the HTTP
>tunneling on the client is disabled, the VLC works fine.

I can't help you with this, because VLC is not our software, and this
is not a VLC mailing list.  (However, I've heard reports that
RTSP-over-HTTP is not working properly in at least some versions of
VLC; you should make sure you have an up-to-date version.)

In any case, if you run "openRTSP" as a client, and give it the "-T
80" option, you'll see that RTSP-over-HTTP works properly.