[Live-devel] Questions about MPEG2 transport streams

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Jun 10 22:17:12 PDT 2011

>I'm currently using openRTSP to receive MPEG2 transport streams.
>I'd rather have N subsessions for N streams, but I'm not responsible
>for these servers, so I must stick with TS packets.
>
>And here are my two questions :
>
>Is it possible, in a RTSP client, to select a specific stream among
>the others, and only receive this one ?

No (unless the server happens to explicitly support such an
operation, which ours does not (nor does any other server that I'm
aware of)).

>  I think it's not possible, but maybe you have some code to so in
>liveMedia APIs ?

It would be possible, in principle, to do this with our code, by
subclassing "RTSPServer", and writing your own server-side filter
(sitting between the "ByteStreamFileSource" and the
"MPEG2TransportStreamFramer") that converted the input Transport
Stream to one that contained just the specific substream that the
client had requested.

>Otherwise, are there some methods available, always on client' side,
>to parse a TS packet, list its inner streams, and extract one ?

No, not in our code.