[Live-devel] Configuring IP & Port for Live Media Server

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Jun 14 06:53:20 PDT 2011

>>No, the "LIVE555 Media Server" application first tries to use port
>>554 (the default port number for RTSP), and then (if port 554 can't
>>be used) it tries to use port 8554 (the alternative port number for
>>RTSP).  These port numbers can't be changed (unless you were to
>>modify the source code).
>[...]
>Be aware that some Internet providers may block port 554. My
>provider (Belgacom) is definitely doing that. We never succeeded
>accessing our IP cameras from Internet using port 554. Using port
>5554 worked fine.

You shouldn't use port number 5554, because that's defined for use by
the "SGI ESP HTTP" protocol, whatever that is; see
<http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers>.  If - for whatever
reason - you can't use port number 554, then you should use port
number 8554 instead, because both 554 and 8554 are defined for use by
RTSP.