[Live-devel] Problems on iPhone when on cell network

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Jun 14 07:05:53 PDT 2011

>However, because you're getting this error, it means that both 1/
>the iPhone's OS doesn't have an IP multicast route installed for
>224/8, *and* 2/ the combination of "gethostname()" and
>"gethostbyname()" isn't working.  If you can't fix either 1/ or 2/,
>then you'll have to come up with some other mechanism for getting
>your IP address.  (If you can do this, let us know, and we'll
>consider adding it (as a third mechanism to try) to our
>"ourIPAddress()" code.)
>
>Thanks for the overview, Ross.  Unfortunately I have not found a solution.

I would imagine that this - finding the iPhone's own IP address - is
a common problem encountered by iPhone app developers.  You might
want to ask on iPhone development forums about this.

>Regarding iOS, um, there actually was a config.iphoneos in the
>archive I downloaded.  You might want to apply the "ar vs. libtool"
>patch there, too.
>
>Isn't it great when you forget on how many platforms your own
>software runs :).

Aha, yes, I'd completely forgotten about "config.iphoneos"; someone
had contributed this just over a year ago:
http://lists.live555.com/pipermail/live-devel/2010-May/012178.html