[Live-devel] "Discarding interleaved RTP or RTCP packet" between GET_PARAMETER request and response

Gerard Hollemans gerard at streamit.eu
Fri Jun 24 02:58:06 PDT 2011

Hi,

I run into "Discarding interleaved RTP or RTCP packet" leading to visual
distortions even though the video server correctly responds to the
GET_PARAMETER request immediately before the discarding of the packets. How
can this be solved?

Let me elaborate: We use Wowza Media Server, latest version and tuned
according to the vendors recommendations. This streams to (among others) a
VLC client (1.0.6 Goldeneye) running on Ubuntu Linux (10.04) that uses
Live555 (v2010.02.10) to play the stream. There are frequent visual
distortions that are time-correlated to the moment that Live555 posts a
GET_PARAMETER request to the stream server.

The log file extract below shows that the client sends the request to the
server, the server responds to the client correctly (see also
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2326.txt, section 10.8). Nevertheless, packets
are discarded: "Discarding interleaved RTP or RTCP packet (1140 bytes,
channel id 0)". The number of packets that is discarded, differs per
occassion. Note that packet are only discarded between the request and the
response (as they appear in the log file).

Wireshark logging and testing with other players show that the stream and
the internet connection are fine.

Please provide me a solution to prevent Live555 from dropping packets in the
described situation.

Kind regards,

Gerard Hollemans

---

LOG FILE EXTRACT:

<snip>

Sending request: GET_PARAMETER
rtsp://www.viddist.nl:1935/live/_definst_/streamit/stream1.sdp/ RTSP/1.0

CSeq: 19

Session: 925629582

Discarding interleaved RTP or RTCP packet (1140 bytes, channel id 0)

Discarding interleaved RTP or RTCP packet (1140 bytes, channel id 0)

Discarding interleaved RTP or RTCP packet (1140 bytes, channel id 0)

Received GET_PARAMETER response: RTSP/1.0 200 OK

Session: 925629582;timeout=60

Supported: play.basic, con.persistent

Cseq: 19

Server: Wowza Media Server 2.1.2.02 build25301

Public: DESCRIBE, SETUP, TEARDOWN, PLAY, PAUSE, OPTIONS, ANNOUNCE, RECORD,
GET_PARAMETER

</snip>