[Live-devel] SAP announcements and the live555 library in VLC (multiple media ports please)

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Mar 3 07:43:42 PST 2011

>the live555 library is used by VLC.  VLC can decode SAP announcements
>to make it easy for end users to access playlists via SAP announce and
>it appears that the live555 library is used to decode the SAP
>announcements.

Yes, but not exclusively (I think).  I.e., I think that sometimes VLC
uses a separate mechanism - not using our libraries - to parse/decode
SAP announcements.  I'm not sure about this, though, because VLC is
not our software, and I'm not sure how it works internally.

>  But VLC will not decode properly formed SAP
>announcements where there is more than one media line. It appears that
>this is a function of the live555 library

>Now I assume the live555 library was written with the assumption that
>the main media being used was multiplexed MPEG-TS with one port set
>only, and so one connection entry; one media file is all that it

Incorrect.  Our library has *always* been able to parse/handle SDP
announcements that have multiple "m=" lines (e.g., one "m=" for
audio; one "m=" for video).

If your stream is accessible via a "rtsp://" URL, then you can verify
this using our "openRTSP" RTSP client application.  (Unlike VLC,
openRTSP *is* our software.)

So, please try opening our stream using "openRTSP", and let us know
if you have any problems with this.