[Live-devel] SAP announcements and the live555 library in VLC (multiple media ports please)

John Blyth john.blyth.edu at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 19:17:46 PST 2011

Thanks Ross,

it is not a problem decoding the SDP file and the corresponding stream
- VLC and QuicktimePlayer7 all do this and will display the rtsp
stream from the information encoded in the SDP file. {The openrtsp
does not have a SAP interpreting function?}

The problem we have been experiencing is decoding the SAP announcement
with the SDP information embedded inside it. VLC does interpret SAP
announcements, but not SAP announcements with multiple media lines.
The "messages" output from VLC implies that it is a live555 library
function {used to decode the SAP announce}

here's a line that one sees often in that messages window...

"sap debug: Multiple media ports not supported -> live555"

If you forgive me (in advance) the VLC developer said " I do not know
what live555 does internally. This is not developed by the VideoLAN
project."  But it seemed to imply that live555 library was used by VLC
for parsing SAP, but I may? be wrong.   The debug message was the only
clue I had for the observed behaviour.

What I was hoping to achieve, is to find out if live555 is used for
decoding SAP announcements in VLC, & does support multiple media
ports, why that is not being included or recognised in VLC - a bit of
a tricky situation for a third party user outside of the development
teams of videolan and live555, & get it fixed.