[Live-devel] SAP announcements and the live555 library in VLC (multiple media ports please)

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Mar 3 22:28:42 PST 2011

>The problem we have been experiencing is decoding the SAP announcement
>with the SDP information embedded inside it. VLC does interpret SAP
>announcements, but not SAP announcements with multiple media lines.
>The "messages" output from VLC implies that it is a live555 library
>function {used to decode the SAP announce}
>
>here's a line that one sees often in that messages window...
>
>"sap debug: Multiple media ports not supported -> live555"

This error message is printed by VLC (specifically, the VLC file
"modules/services_discovery/sap.c"), not by our code.  I don't know
why it's mentioning "live555" at all, because - as far as I can tell
- it is *not* using the LIVE555 library at this point to parse the
SDP announcement.

In any case, if VLC *were* using the LIVE555 library to parse the SDP
announcement, then there would not be a problem, because we can (and
always have been able to) parse SDP descriptions that contain
multiple "m=" lines.

So this is an issue to raise with the VLC developers, not us.