[Live-devel] LIVE555 Media Server

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Mar 16 18:32:20 PDT 2011

>Hi there. (I just want to make my bid / suggestion about LIVE555
>Media Server).
>
>Server work great, no problem there. The point is how can I change
>the port? Now it seems to be 8544 or similar.

The only way to change the port number is to modify and recompile the
application's source code.

Note, however, that the current code first tries to use port number
554 (the default port number for RTSP, meaning that it can be omitted
from "rtsp://" URLs), and then - only if that fails - uses port
number 8554.  On Unix systems (including Linux), port number 554
(being less than 1024) can be used only by applications running as
"root".  Therefore, if you want the existing "LIVE555 Media Server"
application to use port number 554, then you can do so by running it
as "root".

>- Can rtsp be focred to use TCP (firewalls prevents a lot udp...),
>because client does not request it.

No.  In the RTSP protocol it is up to the client to choose what kind
of streaming (UDP or TCP) is requested.  The server can only deliver
what the client requests.

However, many media players - including VLC - will automatically
'fall back' to requesting TCP streaming if no response is heard from
UDP streaming within a short period of time.

>- Can in later release this be used in conjuction with VLC so that
>VLC transcodes and published the output to locahost: rtp stream,
>LIVE555 Media Server reads that soceket and produces the proper RTSP
>(tcp) stream in wanted port..

I don't really understand this question, unfortunately - but I
suspect that the answer is "no", because VLC is not our software.