[Live-devel] Media Server

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sat Mar 19 15:22:24 PDT 2011

>i've been developing a media server using live555 media server. I'm
>using two threads now, one running the media server the other
>running a SSL server. I'm a little bit confused. I added a
>ServerMediaSession(with lookupServerMediaSession) with the test.ts
>file and later removed it. For some reason when i test this url
>again, the server runs createNewSMS again, and creates the
>mediasession! Is this me or is it checking again if there's any file
>with that name?

Yes, that's the way that the "LIVE555 Media Server" is supposed to
work: It automatically allows clients to stream from any file that's
present in the same directory as the server, regardless of whether or
not a "ServerMediaSession" object has already been created for the
file.  (If no such "ServerMediaSession" object already exists, then
the server will automatically create one.)

That's why the "LIVE555 Media Server" uses the "DynamicRTSPServer"
class (which is a subclass of the regular "RTSPServer" class that has
been programmed specifically for this behavior).

Instead, if you want direct control over which streams can be played
(by controlling which "ServerMediaSession" objects are present in the
server), then you should use the "RTSPServer" class, rather than the
"DynamicRTSPServer" class.

Note, for example, the "testOnDemandRTSPServer" demo application.