[Live-devel] Play out PCR from gettimeofday rather than source stream?

Tim J Shackleton live555 at timshackleton.com
Mon Mar 21 16:04:30 PDT 2011

Hi,

I have created a modified version of testMPEG2TransportStreamer which will play out a carousel of SPTS files to a multicast address - and it works extremely well.... except..

The problem that I have encountered is that the output stream contains PCR information from the input source source files, so when one file closes and the next starts playout, PCR does a time-warp back to zero.  The net effect of this is attached set-top boxes attempt to adapt however (and I'm guessing here) they pixellate a second or two after the transition and I assume this is because they are playing out their buffer and then briefly panic because something weird has happened to the PCR.

So my bright idea was to rather than play out the PCR from the source file, replace it with a PCR derived from gettimeofday.  I realise the PCR playout timing might be a little bumpy at transition from one source file to another, however so long as the PCR isn't time warping, I think the mux chain and STBs will cope.

I see that timeNow is already stood up in in MPEG2TransportStreamFramer.cpp - is there a quick and dirty way to insert PCR based on this time, at time of playout, rather than pass through the source PCR?

Thanks and regards,

Tim Shackleton