[Live-devel] Heap corruption in AudioInputDevice::createNew()

Marlon Reid Marlon at scansoft.co.za
Mon Nov 7 02:15:25 PST 2011

Hi everyone,

I have successfully used live555 in the past for various test programs.
I am now trying to incorporate live555 into another application.
Live555 forms part of a plugin, which is loaded by our client
application.

The problem is that when loading this plugin that uses live555, I get a
heap corruption.  I spent quite sometime on this and I discovered that
if I remove my call to "AudioInputDevice::createNew()" then my
application does not suffer a heap corruption when loading the plugin
the uses live555.  With this line, a heap corruption while loading the
plugin.

I am using Windows 7 64bit, Visual Studio 2008 and the newest version of
live555 (1st November).  Any suggestions will be most appreciated.

The call that trashes my heap is:

FramedSource *micInput =
(WindowsAudioInputDevice*)AudioInputDevice::createNew( envir(), 0, 16
/*BIT_RATE*/, 2 /*NUM_CHANNELS*/, 22050/*SAMPLE_RATE*/,
2/*GRANULARITY*/);

Please note:

My application never gets to this call.  Simply having it in my code
breaks the heap at startup

Regards.