[Live-devel] H264DiscreteFramer from custom source

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Nov 16 16:25:51 PST 2011

> Am I correct in saying that there should be an extra line in this SDP
> which translates to an interpreted SPS/PPS NAL via the discrete
> framer?  Even without this line in the SDP, VLC should still be able
> to understand the stream as the SPS/PPS are inline though?

Not necessarily - depending upon how smart VLC's H.264 decoder is (or isn't).

But the problem here is that the SPS and PPS NAL units are *not* appearing in the stream, because the "H264VideoStreamDiscreteFramer" is not recognizing them.  That's why there isn't a separate "a=fmtp:" line in the SDP description.

You can verify this yourself by reviewing the code for "H264VideoStreamDiscreteFramer::afterGettingFrame1()" (in "liveMedia/H264VideoStreamDiscreteFramer.cpp").  Note the "if" statement beginning at line 67, where the code checks the "nal_unit_type".  In your case, it is apparently never seeing a SPS or PPS NAL unit.  That's the problem (with your input data) that you need to address.