[Live-devel] H.264 live video streaming

David J Myers david.myers at panogenics.com
Fri Nov 18 10:07:39 PST 2011

Hi,

I am trying to use Live555 to implement an RTSP  server in our IP camera.

Our H.264 encoder produces NAL units preceded by a 00 00 00 01 start code.

The encoding main thread then writes the NAL units to a linux pipe where
they can be read by the RTSP Server thread for streaming out.

My questions are:-

1.       Is the linux pipe method a good enough mechanism for getting the
data to the server? Has anyone else done this?

2.       Which H264 framer class do I need? The new
H264VideoStreamDiscreteFramer class doesn't seem right because I have these
start codes on each NAL unit. If I base a new class on
H264VideoStreamFramer, do I need to remove the start codes?

3.       What else does the framer class need to do? Is there an example of
this anywhere?

Thanks and regards

David