[Live-devel] Jeremy Noring's problem with RTP-over-TCP

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Nov 24 13:25:44 PST 2011

> Receiving RTP over TCP in current releases with multiple sub-sessions is, by and large, broken as best I can tell due to something with the new synchronous API

You mean "asynchronous API".

We talked about your problem a lot on the mailing list back in July.  As far as I can tell, you're the only person having this problem with receiving RTP-over-TCP, so it may be inaccurate to describe it as being "broken".  (I also doubt that the asynchronous API is responsible.)  Back in July I wasn't able to explain the symptoms that you were seeing, but I still suspect that you might be using multiple threads incorrectly (by, perhaps inadvertently, accessing the same LIVE555 object(s) from multiple threads).  If you stop using multiple threads (as I've noted several times, you don't need multiple threads to concurrently receive multiple RTSP/RTP streams within a single LIVE555 application if you use the asynchronous API), then I suspect your problems will go away.