[Live-devel] older source archives

Jeremy Noring kidjan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 12:31:01 PST 2011

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 5:39 AM, Steffen Sledz <sledz at dresearch-fe.de>wrote:

> It seems that at <http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/public> only the
> latest source tarball is published. Is there an URL where older tarballs
> are available?
>
> They are needed especially for maintained distributions (in our case
> OpenEmbedded[1] related distributions like Ångström[2]), where it is not
> acceptable to switch to a latest version every few days.

To the OP, I've been stuffing versions of Live555 into a google code
project so I have SVN history:

http://code.google.com/p/live555sourcecontrol/

...mainly, my interest is in having SVN history so I know _why_ the code
is, and what's changed over time.  Still need to stuff the most recent
version in there, I'll get to that sometime today.

As for updating to the most recent version, this works okay--until there's
some bug in the library you can't solve and nobody on the mailing list
seems to know what's going on, and you have no source code history so it's
much more difficult to understand how the code changed to precipitate that
bug.  Currently, this is the situation I face.  Receiving RTP over TCP in
current releases with multiple sub-sessions is, by and large, broken as
best I can tell due to something with the new synchronous API--I have not
been able to solve it, and the "workaround" I found has unacceptable
results.  History would help, which is why I started stuffing versions into
the aforementioned project.

-Jeremy