[Live-devel] Jeremy Noring's problem with RTP-over-TCP

Ralf Globisch rglobisch at csir.co.za
Fri Nov 25 00:21:42 PST 2011

Hi Jeremy & Ross,

FWIW:
Re-reading the posts from July i *might* have something to add to the
discussion.
We exclusively use the RTP over TCP option and also saw a strange
issue with it fairly
recently. Just recapping in case it is of use to either of you:

We compiled the Android version of VLC and made some changes to be
able to stream
over the network using RTP over RTSP. When switching from wireless to 3G/Edge
the stream would fail to play. At the time I thought it might have
something to do with
RTP being in the same packet as the RTSP (see
http://lists.live555.com/pipermail/live-devel/2011-October/013866.html)
but Ross corrected this line of thought in his response and further
testing confirmed that.

Further debugging shows that when things went wrong, the stream
channel ID could not be matched
on the client correctly: IIRC the server (also running live555) was
sending video and audio
using IDs 2 and 3, and the client was trying to match 0 and 1. Also,
IIRC, the latest live555
code in the client (obtained when building the android version) does a
check and goes back
into a searching for $ state if it fails to match the ID. Older code
didn't have this check.
It looked like mismatching the IDs had broken the state machine on the client.

At this stage I was clueless how to proceed (esp. since this failure
to match IDs only
happened over 3G and *not* over wireless). I then updated our server
application to use
the latest version of live555 and the problem went away completely.

So to conclude: somehow using a new version of the RTSP client (with
async interface)
over 3G/Edge with an older version of the live555 server caused a
mismatch in stream channel IDs.

@Jeremy: I hope this helps. In your case, is the server also running
live555 and are you able
to try to upgrade the server?