[Live-devel] RTSP over TCP advice

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Oct 4 20:11:05 PDT 2011

Yes, our server starts sending out RTP packets just before sending back the RTSP "PLAY" response.  The reason for this is that the RTSP response includes a "RTP-Info" header, whose contents (in part) depend upon parameters obtained as a result of starting to send out RTP packets.

But this should not be a problem for our receiving code - even when using RTP/RTP-over-TCP - because RTP or RTCP packets - when included in a TCP stream - are framed beginning with a dollar ('$') character (plus channel id and length fields), and are demultiplexed and redirected properly: RTP or RTCP packets go to their appropriate reading objects ("RTPSource" or "RTCPInstance", respectively), and RTSP requests or responses go to the 'alternative byte handler' (which, for a "RTSPClient", is the "handleAlternativeRequestByte()" function - which ends up calling "handleResponseBytes()").

So I don't know why you might be having a problem receiving data like this - especially if you're seeing the problem on one kind of network, but not another.  I wonder if perhaps you have a driver or network bug somewhere that's losing some data somewhere, even though it's part of a TCP stream??