[Live-devel] Continous RTCP reciver report packets

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Oct 7 15:29:49 PDT 2011

> We have compiled openRTSP as you have suggested and this does not show any problem, with the RTCP packets coming out
> of the client every second or so. VLC player still has the problem however with the packets coming out every 2ms.

Some background here (because the initial discussion of this issue took place off the mailing list):  Charles is having a problem whereby VLC - when playing a RTSP/RTP stream - is sending back RTCP "RR" packets much too frequently.  However, he cannot reproduce the problem using "openRTSP" as a client.

Unfortunately I can't figure out what could be causing this problem, because the LIVE555 code (which VLC is using here to implement RTCP) is computing the average frequency of RTCP packets based on (5% of) the total stream bandwidth, which is specified - in the stream's SDP description - by
	b=AS:552
i.e., 552 kbps.  5% of that is 3500 bytes-per-second.  This should be giving a RTCP report frequency much less than that which Charles is seeing.

The LIVE555 library code that parses the SDP description (including the "b=" line) and creates/implements RTCP is exactly the same in both VLC and openRTSP, and has not changed significantly since the version that Charles' VLC is using.  So I'm at a loss to understand what might be the problem here.

> We are using VLC media player to play out a H263 stream.

One thing I noticed, BTW:  The stream's SDP description says:

a=rtpmap:97 MP4V-ES/90000

which specifies MPEG-4, *not* H.263.