[Live-devel] Streaming from subdirectories not working with embedded RTSP player

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Oct 10 00:46:49 PDT 2011

> I read in the history notes that starting from v.0-71 streaming from a subdirectory (like in: rtsp://<host>/MyVideos/MyStreams/a-video.ts) now works.
> I can confirm that it indeed works with the VLC player, but unfortunately not with the RTSP player I am working with on an embedded device (a browser-based setop box).

You should consider using our own RTSP client implementation; several people/organizations have already used it for embedded devices.

In any case, there is now a new version (0.72) of the "LIVE555 Media Server" (that uses a new version 2011.10.09 of the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" source code) that better supports subdirectories in "rtsp://" URLs.  If you use this new version, you may find that streaming from subdirectories works for you now.

But if this still doesn't work, then please post (to this mailing list) an example of the RTSP protocol exchange that fails for you, and I'll take a look at it.  (Alternative, you could just use our RTSP client implementation, because it is known to work OK :-)