[Live-devel] Opportunity for unpredictable behaviour in MPEG2TransportStreamFramer

Tim J Shackleton live555 at timshackleton.com
Mon Oct 17 13:14:46 PDT 2011

On 17/10/11 17:54, Ross Finlayson wrote:
> Yes, but are you sure that a wrap-around is, in fact happening (and is
> the cause of your problem)? A rough calculation shows that - at 10
> Mbps - the "fTSPacketCount" variable (which counts 188-byte Transport
> Stream 'packets') will wrap around in around 7 days. But anyway, if
> this is a plausible occurrence, then it's probably something we should
> allow for.

Fantastic.  I am going to run side by side binaries, one with the
existing unsigned, and one with the u_int64_t.  I have been playing out
content with a mux rate of 8,000kbit/sec and I was seeing the problem
occur after about a week and a half and by my math that seems to agree
with a calculated value of 9.3 days.

I note that using u_int64_t that will extend the wrap time from 9.3 days
to 109 million years, which should comfortably exceed the lifetime of
most things.  I think I feel quite comfortable with this as a fix.  :-)

I will respond with my results next week, when I expect the issue to
manifest on the unpatched version.

Thanks and regards,

Tim