[Live-devel] Payload information

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Oct 20 08:49:07 PDT 2011

> I am developing an application that receives data from a microphone, compresses it, sends it and decompresses it.
>
> Now I would like to have the option to compress the data to different formats e.g. mp3, wav etc.  This should be send to the receiver which will then choose the best decoder based on the type of data received.
>
> Can this information be included in the SDPDescription?

Yes, you could do this by (in your server) adding two separate "ServerMediaSubsession" (subclass) objects to your "ServerMediaSession" object: One "ServerMediaSubsession" (subclass) object for the MP3 audio, and another "ServerMediaSubsession" (subclass) object for the PCM audio.

These will appear as separate "m=" limes in the SDP description, and will - if streamed - be sent as separate RTP streams, on separate port numbers.  A RTSP client could - in principle - use the SDP description to decide which of these streams it wants to "PLAY".