[Live-devel] VLC mpeg4

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Oct 21 01:38:29 PDT 2011

> I am correct in saying the VLC supports MP4V-ES but not mpeg4-generic (RFC3640) for m=video.

I assume here that you are talking about VLC *receiving* RTP video.  (When *sending* RTP, VLC does not use our software.)

In principle, the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" library (used by VLC) can receive either payload format: "MP4V-ES" or "MPEG4-GENERIC" - depending on what's specified in the stream's SDP description.  However, the code that VLC uses to interface with LIVE555 assumes that a "MPEG4-GENERIC" stream is audio only.

(I have never seen a stream that uses "MPEG4-GENERIC" for video.)

So, if you want to send MPEG-4 video over RTP, you should use the MP4V-ES payload format.