[Live-devel] Test programs for RTSP streaming over HTTP (Other than Apple iPhone, iPads and Safari)

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sat Oct 29 12:34:08 PDT 2011

You are confusing two different things:

1/ RTSP-over-HTTP
2/ HTTP Live Streaming

Our server supports both of these, but they are different protocols.  "HTTP Live Streaming" uses HTTP, not RTSP at all, and is used for streaming to Apple iPhones or iPads.  (Also, this type of streaming works only for certain kinds of Transport Stream files - not other kinds of audio+video.)

What you want is "RTSP-over-HTTP", which our server also supports.  This is the regular RTSP protocol, but tunneled over HTTP.

To use it, run the "live555MediaServer", and note the port number that it displays when it starts up:

"(We use port <http-port-num> for optional RTSP-over-HTTP tunneling ..."

You can use our "openRTSP" command-line RTSP client, with the "-T <http-port-num>" option to test this.  See <http://www.live555.com/openRTSP/#other-options>.

I.e., run
	openRTSP -T <http-port-num> <rtsp-url>
Where <http-port-num> is the port number that "live555MediaServer" displays (at the end), and <rtsp-url> is the "rtsp://" URL that "live555MediaServer" displays (near the beginning) for your file.