[Live-devel] Test programs for RTSP streaming over HTTP (Other than Apple iPhone, iPads and Safari)

sandeep suresh sandeep.suresh at yahoo.co.in
Sat Oct 29 08:47:38 PDT 2011

Dear Experts,
          I have decided to use Live555 as RTSP server & Client for a project. In this project, the audio+video from an IP camera (connected in a premises behind a firewall) needs to be streamed to a PC connected over the internet. Because of the firewall, we cannot use the RTSP streaming directly and needs to be tunneled over HTTP.
                I scanned through the available posts on the subject “RTSP streaming over HTTP”:
1.       http://lists.live555.com/pipermail/live-devel/2011-July/013623.html
2.       There is also the class “RTSPServerSupportingHTTPStreaming”.

I also understood that these are based on the HTTP streaming mechanisms supported by Apple.  I build and executed live555mediaserver, ondemandRTSPServer and was able successfully test some examples with rtsp://ip-address: port num/filename.m4e. I built these programs on a Ubuntu 10.04 LTS machine, with Firefox web browser and Movie player. But could not understand, how to test with HTTP streaming? http://ip-address: 8000/filename.m4e ? With HTTP server based programs, there needs to be a html file and could not find any file. It will be really helpful if there is any test program to demonstrate the functionality with browsers supported on Windows or Linux platforms.

Thanks in advance
Kind regards
Sandeep Suresh.