[Live-devel] Transport Stream

Michael Hallak-Stamler michael.hallakstamler at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 21:48:10 PDT 2011

Hi,

I am working on getting LIVE555 to generate a stable transport stream from a
H.264 source with high VBR. Our CODEC generates P frames much smaller and
with high variance compared to I frames. The problems I have are as follows:

1. I am using testH264VideoToTransportStream to generate the TS
2. I notice that the code generates PTS only but not DTS. I discovered that
the difference between these are used to define the decode buffer at the
client. Why is it not included here?
3. The PCR is generated from the presentation time stamp, OK. However, how
do you keep the PCR within the stringent requirements of +/- 500 ns from
27MHZ?
4. Also: Doesn't the client expected a CBR on the line between PCR
occurences?

These issues are particularly important for clients that use a hardware PLL
to compute its PCR. This is the problem I am facing. When I use a software
client, say VLC, then  all works flawlessly.

Comments?

Thanks for your great work on LIVE555

Michael Stamler, CEO
Xicore Video Technologies