[Live-devel] Transport Stream

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Sep 5 17:14:50 PDT 2011

Michael,

Thanks for the note.

The main goal in writing this code was to produce Transport Streams that could be played OK by software media players (for example, VLC).  It would not be surprising, therefore, if the resulting Transport Streams did not conform to the strict timing requirements required for some hardware decoders.

We use presentation times as input to the Transport Stream generation code ("MPEG2TransportStreamFromESSource") because these are - in general - the only timestamps that we have available to us, and the only timestamps that we use when we're sending or receiving RTP.  (The "LIVE555 Streaming Media" code is intended primarily for sending/receiving RTP, even though it can be used for other purposes (such as, in this case, converting a local H.264 stream into a Transport Stream).)

Nonetheless, any (general purpose) improvements to the "MPEG2TransportStreamFromESSource" and/or "H264VideoStreamFramer" code are always appreciated.