[Live-devel] Get current playback position

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Sep 29 02:45:53 PDT 2011

> We tried to find a way to get the current playback position in our live555MediaServer variant, but it looks like that's entirely internal to the library, not something we can access from the public class interface.  Basically we want to be able to call
>
> 	MPEG2TransportFileServerMediaSubsession::seekStream()
>
> from outside the library, and for that, we need an NPT value.  As I understand it, the only safe place to get one is from the index file, which is owned by the internal ClientTrickPlayState class, and there is no public call that can give us its fNPT member.
>
> Could we get this added to a future version of Live555, please?

I want to first step back and try to get a better understanding of what it is you're wanting to do.  You talk about wanting to "get the current playback position", but then you talk about basically wanting to call "seekStream()" - but that function *sets* the playback position, not gets it.  So I'm a bit confused.

So, can you say a bit more about what you're wanting to do (without necessarily trying to describe how you think it might be done)?