[Live-devel] Get current playback position

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Thu Sep 29 06:57:45 PDT 2011

On 9/29/2011 3:45 AM, Ross Finlayson wrote:

> You talk about wanting to "get the current
> playback position", but then you talk about basically wanting to call
> "seekStream()" - but that function *sets* the playback position, not
> gets it. So I'm a bit confused.

We want to implement bookmarking:

    a) find out where the server is playing from right now;
    b) save that somewhere external to the server;
    c) at a later time, restart playback; and
    d) jump to the previous playback position.

This is simplified.  There could be any number of bookmarks, and the
jump doesn't always immediately follow playback restart.  It's a form of
trick play external to the RTSP conversation.

> So, can you say a bit more about what you're wanting to do (without
> necessarily trying to describe how you think it might be done)?

We asked for this feature in terms of NPT, since seekStream(NPT) already
exists and is public.

We could modify the library to surface the fNPT member we found, but of
course that isn't kosher, so we ask here instead.

For step a), I haven't yet studied whether the other parameters are easy
to obtain as a client of the library.  If not, we'll need a way to find
it/them, too.