[Live-devel] testOnDemandRTSPServer plays mp3 silently

Martin Wright mwright3 at slb.com
Tue Apr 10 08:01:45 PDT 2012

Hi all

It seems using the testOnDemandRTSPServer example program somehow causes the QuickTime app to play an mp3 silently.

I have run live/testProgs/testOnDemandRTSPServer on a machine that is also running Apache from a directory that contains various wav and mp3 files. I have an index.html file that contains a variety of ways to reference these files including:

which invokes the QuickTime plug-in to play the downloaded file and

which invokes the QuickTime app externally to the browser.

The direct URL, played through the plug-in, works fine which proves there is no fault with the actual mp3 file or the speakers or volume setting on the client. The rtsp stream plays in QuickTime for the right amount of time but without any sound at all. I get the same symptoms if I enter urls via the QuickTime app's OpenURL menu option, i.e. opening the file with http via the web server is fine but using rtsp via the 8554 port causes it to appear to play but be completely silent.

Has anyone else had this problem or could hint at where to look in this particular source code?

Thanks, Martin