[Live-devel] waiting on DESCRIBE response

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Apr 23 12:16:11 PDT 2012

> I am getting following messages on Client side when playing the URL with testRTSPClient application.
>

> Received 1448 new bytes of response data.
> Have received 1448 total bytes of a DESCRIBE RTSP response; awaiting 30924 bytes more.
> Received 2896 new bytes of response data.
> Have received 4344 total bytes of a DESCRIBE RTSP response; awaiting 28028 bytes more.
> Received 2896 new bytes of response data.
> Have received 7240 total bytes of a DESCRIBE RTSP response; awaiting 25132 bytes more.
> Received 2759 new bytes of response data.
> Have received 9999 total bytes of a DESCRIBE RTSP response; awaiting 22373 bytes more.
>
> After this it will hang here and does not proceed further.

The problem is that your server is including - in its response to the client's RTSP "DESCRIBE" command - a "Content-Length:" header that specifies a response payload content (in this case a "SDP description") that's much too big.

You should be able to see this clearly by noting the "Content-Length:" header in the response that's received by "testRTSPClient".

I.e., the problem is that your server is broken.  (If you had used our software to implement your server, then you would not have had this problem :-)