[Live-devel] CPU intensive on ARM using testH264VideoStreamer with TI encoder

Shlomi lshl.shlomi at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 02:53:53 PDT 2012

Hi all,
I am using a TI DaVinci processor to create a h264 file.
When trying to stream this file with testH264VideoStreamer, the cpu goes up
to 80% (which is bad for me since it is already in use by other
applications).
When trying to stream the slamtv60.264 found on the live555 site, all is
good (cpu consumption is about 4-10%).
At first the testH264VideoStreamer complained that the h264 frames were too
big, so I enlarged OutPacketBuffer::maxSize.
This eliminated the truncation of the frames, but not the intensive cpu
usage.
I guess (and again it is ONLY a guess) the intensive cpu usage comes from
the need to break the big h264 frames to MTU fragments (i.e. ~1450 B).
I can't reduce the size of the h264 frames because the stream bandwidth
(8Mbps) must be retained (part of the requirements).

Does anybody have any idea/solution on how to lessen the cpu usage?

Thanks,
Shlomi