[Live-devel] CPU intensive on ARM using testH264VideoStreamer with TI encoder

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Thu Aug 2 05:45:27 PDT 2012

On 8/1/2012 3:53 AM, Shlomi wrote:
> I am using a TI DaVinci processor to create a h264 file.
> When trying to stream this file with testH264VideoStreamer, the cpu goes up
> to 80% (which is bad for me since it is already in use by other
> applications).
> When trying to stream the slamtv60.264 found on the live555 site, all is
> good (cpu consumption is about 4-10%).

What is the bit rate of your encoded video?

I don't know what the bit rate is for the test file you downloaded -- no
tool I threw at it could make much sense of it -- but I'll bet it's
pretty low.  If, say, the test file is 1 Mbit/s and you're encoding to 9
Mbit/s, there's your CPU differential right there.  It takes CPU power
to pump I/O unless you're using DMA.